This post contains Amazon affiliate links, which means I make a small commission at not extra cost to you. See my full disclosure here.
Today I want to share with you a fall family friendly activity as well as a roasted pumpkin seed recipe that both my littles approve of! If you know me, you know fall is my favorite time of the year! This fun fall family activity is the perfect way to bring in the fall season!
Family Friendly Fall Activity:
Today the weather was just right, so I decided to let my boys cut open a few of our pumpkins and start collecting the seeds! My mother-in-law grew pumpkins on the farm this year, so we didn’t have to purchase any. This kept my boys busy for over an hour, and they did all the seed extraction themselves! I let them use some of their kid-friendly kitchen knives, and I just got them started. After that, they had a BLAST sitting outside in the cool air, digging away! Once they had an entire bowl full, and emptied the pumpkins of all their seeds, we decided to take them in and roast them for a yummy treat!
Roasted Pumpkin Seed Recipe Step By Step:Jump to Recipe
Step 1: Clean Your Seeds + Preheat Oven
Once you have collected all your pumpkin seeds, the first step is to clean them all off! They come out of the pumpkin very stringy/slimy, so you want to get all that off before moving on. I put them all in a large colander and ran water over them until they were clean. I moved them around with my hands to make sure I got all of them rinsed off. Go ahead and preheat your oven to 350 degrees at this time as well.
Step 2: Dry Your Seeds
After your seeds are completely rinsed off, the next step is to get as much of the water off them as possible. I put paper towels down and spread my seeds across them. Then, I took another paper towel and pat-dry the tops of all the seeds. Some of the seeds do stick to the paper towel, which makes it a little more tricky, but they are easy to just pop right off. Once your seeds are mostly dry you can put them back into a bowl.
Step 3: Gather Ingredients and Mix it All Together.
It’s now time to gather all your ingredients and get ready to mix it all up! You will need olive oil, paprika, salt, garlic salt, and pepper. Start by drizzling 2 teaspoons of olive oil on them and toss around. Next, add 2 teaspoons of salt. Lastly, add 2 teaspoons of the seasoning mix of garlic salt, pepper, and paprika!
Step 4: Spread Back Out and Get Ready to Roast!
After your seeds are good and mixed up with all your spices, it’s time to get them into the oven. I put parchment paper on a baking sheet and spread out all my seeds evenly. If oven is pre-heated, they are ready to go in!
Step 5: Cook, Cool, and Serve!
I like to let my seeds cook for 30 minutes, but I stay close by to check them periodically. Depending on the size of your seeds and how hot your oven cooks- the cook time may differ. So, I would advise to check your seeds every so often to make sure they are not burning. You can also flip your seeds over if need be. Pull them out and let them cool once they are finished cooking! Now they are ready to snack on! DELISH!
Quick & Delicious Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Seeds from 2 Small / Med Pumpkins Equivalent to 1 Bowl
- 2 Tsp Olive Oil
- 2 Tsp Salt
- 2 Tsp Seasoning Blend- Paprika, Garlic Salt, Pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Scrape out and remove seeds from pumpkins.
- Wash and clean seeds removed from pumpkin. Make sure to remove any access pumpkin rind or any seeds that do not look good. I rinsed mine through a strainer several times.
- Drain the access water and spread out on towel/paper towel to dry. Pat dry the top as well. Try and remove as much access water as possible.
- Once seeds are dry, place back into bowl.
- Add all your ingredients: Toss seeds with olive oil. Add Salt. Then add additional Seasoning Blend of paprika, garlic salt, pepper.
- Add seeds to parchment paper and bake your seeds.
- Check your seeds every ten minutes and make sure they are not burning- you may turn them over if need be.
- Cook for 30 minutes. Once done, remove from oven and let cool.
- Enjoy your tasty snack!